I want to try out the lateset release of ChromeOS on Oracle's VirtualBox operating system emulator. Problem is that the download file (from chromeos.hexxeh.net) is in IMG format. This format is used to burn an image of the operating system onto USB thumbdrives -- similar to the ISO format used to burn images to CDs and DVDs.
Unfortunately, VirtualBox does not read IMG files.
Fortunately, it does provide a utility to convert IMG files to VDI files. (I don't know why it doesn't simply read IMG files, like it does ISO files.)
Unfortunately, using the converter is a bit annoying. Here's how to run it:
1. Click Run, and then enter cmd
2. Notice that Windows opens a DOS window.
3. Copy the following text to the Clipboard, including the quotation marks. (You will probably hvave to change the name of the filename I show below in yellow; it is identical in both cases.)
"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage" convertfromraw -format VDI ChromeOS-Lime-2237.0.2012_05_29_1626-r021858a8.img ChromeOS-Lime-2237.0.2012_05_29_1626-r021858a8.vdi
4. Paste the text into the DOS window: right-click, and then choose Paste.
5. Press Enter to start the conversion. Wait about a minute or so while the conversion takes place, and then create the new virtual machine with the VDI file.