Cosmic Blobs, from SolidWorks, has neve worked on any of my computers, ranging from a 400MHz Pentium MMX to a 3GHz AMD, with graphics cards from ATI and Matrox. The software ran painfully slow, as if it were on an old 8088 CPU. With the new AMD Turion 64-equipped notebook computer I got this week, I gave the software another try.
And now it works correctly. The only difference I can figure is that the other computers ran Windows 2000, while the notebook has XP. Or mebe the CPU.
AMD Turion 64
Here's how AMD describes its Turion CPU:
- 32-bit and can run 64-bit applications
- HyperTransport Technology for faster application performance
- Enhanced Virus Protection
- AMD PowerNow! Technology for longer battery life and reduced heat generation
- 3DNow! Professional Technology and SSE2 and SSE3 instructions for games, streaming video and audio, DVDs, and music.
Maybe it's the 3DNow that makes a difference.