This is the first time since 2001 I've updated my book on CAD management. Back then, it was known as CAD Managers Guidebook and was published by the Onward Press imprint of Delmar Publishing. Now it's know as Best CAD Practices.
Little in these 15 years has changed in our industry. We still wonder about what to name layers, which dimension styles to use, and how to write a manual that catalog's our firm's standards. During the same time, agencies have tweaked their standards, more standards have entered our world (such as related to BIM?), CAD has spread to mobile devices, and it's normal to run two or more CAD systems and/or operating systems in offices.
To thoroughly update this book, I went through all the standards in the earlier text, updated them, added more international standards, added four brand-new chapters, and changed the word "extranet" to "cloud." There's four entirely new chapters, plus significant new content in the others. Here's the table of contents:
1. The Role of the CAD Manager
2. Naming Drawings and Symbols
3. Layer Names, Colors, and Conventions
4. BIM Standards *New!
5. Fonts and Patterns, Linetypes and Widths
6. Scale Factors and Dimensions
7. Standard Drawings and Templates
8. Writing Your CAD Standards Manual
9. Working with Paper Drawings
10. Outsourcing and the Cloud
11. Running CAD on Mobile Devices * New!
12. The DWG Format, and Its Future
13. Managing the Dual-CAD Office * New!
Appendix A. How to Make Computers Run Faster * New!
It's available now for $27, which you can purchase through PayPal using this link
Should Paypal.me not operate in your country, then please use www.paypal.com and the account of email@example.com. Or mail a cheque (US$ or CDN$ only, please) to upFront.eZine Publishing, Ltd., 34486 Donlyn Avenue, Abbotsford BC, V2S 4W7, Canada with your email address.
I will email you the ebook, which is a PDF file about 7.5MB in size. The PDF is formatted for printing on 8.5"x11" paper.
Best CAD Practices
by Ralph Grabowski
4th edition; 270 pages
Published by upFront.eZine Publishing, Ltd.