(It was written by Graebert)
Now we are hearing from Robert Miner of OnShape
2000: Wrong database (from Microsoft), and market not ready
2009: Operations expertise missing, and funding faded
2011: Funding fading again
What's needed to get server-based CAD working:
- Need CAD experts
- Need databases that can scale with the Web; use NoSql, SQL not good enough
- Need 3D graphics in the browser, like WebGL
- Need fast Internet everywhere, and cheap
- Need to be able to provide 24/7 support
- Need support and funding
- Need to do all of the above on a mobile device, and runs like a regular app (not like TinkerCAD)
OnShape changes its software every 3 weeks.
Now we are hearing how Onshape integrated ARES Kudo into their software. I am waiting on Dropbox to upload photos over the s-l-o-w Wifi so I can show you some of the details.