I plan to highlight some software packages from China and Russia in the next few blog postings.
ZWSOFT of Guangzhou (formerly known as Canton) has two software packages:
- ZWCAD for 2D drafting and simple 3D design, based on IntelliCAD
- ZW3D for 3D modeling and CAM operations, formerly known as VX
The company says it has 180, 000 users around the world, but the counter has been stuck at this number for some time now. You can join their ZWCAD Developer Network for free.
The latest release is ZWCAD 2012, and these are some of its new features:
- Entities in blocks can be used for trimming.
- Easier to insert blocks from Tools palette.
- M2P snaps halfway between two points.
- Dimensions can be placed on region objects.
- Stackable fractions in text and mtext.
- Field text in multiline leaders.
- Hyperlinks and additional currency symbols in tables.
- Drawing compare now compares attributes, blocks, and text.
- No limit on number of drawings in batch publishing.
- Page setups for multiple drawings.
- Export drawings as multi-page DWF files.
- ECW aerial images can be attached.
- Visual styles.
- Now available in Vietnamese.
If this sounds a lot like AutoCAD, do not be surprised. The two primary Chinese ITC members have been remarkable in their efforts to duplicate the AutoCAD UX (user experience).
Until the end of January, customers get 50% off one upgrade to ZWCAD 2012. But, if you'd rather try it out free, then download it from their Web site -- after providing your particulars. If it complains that your phone number is invalid, leave out the hyphens.